(共15张PPT)
I’m in a total mess here — hope you can help me out!
我现在真是一团糟 —— 希望你能帮我一把!
in a mess: a situation in which there are a lot of problems and difficulties, especially as a result of mistakes or carelessness 一团糟,处境困难
eg The economy is in a terrible mess.
经济一团糟。
【拓展】
get in / into a mess 陷入狼狈处境
make a mess (of ) (把……)弄得乱七八糟;打乱
help out: to help someone because they are busy or have problems 帮一把
eg Do you need anyone to help out in the shop
店里的事你需要有人帮一把吗?
I help out with the secretarial work.
我帮着做些秘书工作。
【拓展】
help oneself / one to sth. 为自己 / 某人取食品、饮料等
help sb. with sth. 某事上帮助某人
【语境应用】汉译英。
1. 厨房里只有一个年轻的女孩在帮忙。
2. 在那些困难的月份里他们帮了我们很多忙。
There was / is only a young girl helping out in the kitchen.
They helped us out a lot during those difficult months.
2. We played well, but I felt the team were let down by one member, our point guard.
我们踢得很好,但我觉得全队都对我们的控球后卫失望了。
let down: to not do sth. that sb. trusts or expects you to do
使失望;辜负
eg She’s a great player and never lets her fans down.
她是一名不错的运动员,从辜负过她的粉丝。
【语境应用】英译汉。
1. We always trust those who will never let us down.
我们总是相信那些不会令我们失望的人。
2. You can trust him. He’ll never let you down.
你可以信任他,他从不会让你失望。
3. I was just letting off steam really, because I was so angry.
我只是想发泄一下,因为我太生气了。
let off steam: to get rid of your anger, excitement, or energy in a way that does not harm anyone by doing sth. active
发泄怒火; 宣泄情绪
eg When Jackie was frustrated, she let off steam by going for a run.
Jackie感到沮丧时,她通过跑步发泄情绪。
4. Embarrassed and ashamed, I can’t concentrate on anything.
尴尬加羞愧,让我无法集中注意力。
concentrate on / upon: to give most of your attention or effort to one thing
把注意力集中于;全神贯注于
eg Be quiet — let me concentrate on my homework.
安静点——让我专心做作业。
I’m concentrating my efforts on writing my report.
我正在全神贯注写报告。
【语境应用】完成句子。
1) __________________________________ when I’m tired.
我累了就无法集中精力工作。
2) _____________________ because it is too hot.
天太热了,他无法集中精力。
I can’t concentrate on / upon my work
He can’t concentrate
5. Loose lips sink ships. 祸从口出。
Don’t speak carelessly because you never know who is listening and how they will react to what they hear.
This phrase was coined as a slogan during WWII when the US Office of War Information’s attempt to limit the possibility of people unintentionally giving useful information to enemy. The slogan was actually “Loose Lips Might Sink Ships”. It was one of several similar slogans which all came under the campaigns basic message — “Careless talk costs lives”.
6. If you feel one of your teammates isn’t pulling their weight, then raise your concerns in a professional way with your team coach.
如果你觉得队友没有尽职尽责,那就以专业的方式向你的教练提出你的担忧。
pull one’s weight: to do one’s full share of work
做好分内事;尽责
eg Everyone has to pull their weight during a match.
比赛中每个人都必须尽职尽责。
concern n. a feeling of worry about sth. important
忧虑,担心
eg He didn’t show much concern about / for / over her business.
There is growing concern that the factory will be closed down.
concern v. to make someone feel worried or upset
使忧虑,使担心
to be important to sb. or to involve sb. directly
对(某人)很重要;与(某人)相关;涉及;关系到(某人)
eg The film concerns a man who goes to China as a doctor.
The boy’s poor health concerned his parents.
It really concerns me that he doesn’t eat properly.
【语境应用】补全句子。
There’s a lot of public _______________________________
(对道路安全的担忧).
2) She’s in hospital and her illness _______________________
(使她的父母担心) very much.
3) Don’t get involved in ________________________________ (跟你无关的事).
concern about / for / over road safety
concerns her parents
what doesn’t concern you