新概念英语第二册Lesson 78学习笔记
The last one
最后一枝吗?
First listen and then answer the question.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
For how long did the writer give up smoking
After reading an article entitled Cigarette Smoking and Your Health I lit a cigarette to calm my nerves.
读完一篇题为《吸烟与健康》的文章之后,我点上了一枝香烟,来镇定一下自己紧张的神经。
I smoked with concentration and pleasure as I was sure that this would be my last cigarette.
我聚精会神而又愉快地吸着这枝烟。因为我确信这是我最后一枝烟了。
For a whole week I did not smoke at all and during this time, my wife suffered terribly.
整整一个星期我根本没有吸烟。在此期间,我妻子吃尽了苦头。
I had all the usual symptoms of someone giving up smoking: a bad temper and an enormous appetite.
我具备了戒烟者通常表现出来的所有症状:脾气暴躁和食欲旺盛。
My friends kept on offering me cigarettes and cigars.
我的朋友们不断地向我递香烟和雪茄。
They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket.
每当我从口袋里掏出一包糖果时,他们都毫不掩饰地表现出他们对此感到非常好笑。
After seven days of this I went to a party.
这样过了7天以后,我去参加一次聚会。
Everybody around me was smoking and I felt extremely uncomfortable.
我周围的每个人都在吸烟,我感到非常不自在。
When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette, it was more than I could bear.
当我的老朋友布赖恩极力劝我接受一枝香烟时,我再也忍不住了。
I took one guiltily, lit it and smoked with satisfaction.
我内疚地接过一枝点上,心满意足地抽起来。
My wife was delighted that things had returned to normal once more.
一切又都恢复了正常,为此我妻子十分高兴。
Anyway, as Brian pointed out, it is the easiest thing in the world to give up smoking.
不管怎么说,正如布赖恩指出的那样,戒烟是世界上最容易的事情,
He himself has done it lots of times!
他自己就已戒了很多次了!
语法讲解
形容词后的宾语从句
1. I was sure that this would be my last cigarette.
2. My wife was delighted that things had returned
to normal once more.
3. I'm sorry that you lost your dog.
句式学习
1. Sth is more than one can bear
某人再也忍不住了
The noises are more than I can bear.
His rudeness is more than we can bear.
2. Things have returned to normal
一切又都恢复了正常.
He has returned to normal.
The company has returned to normal.
课文讲解
1、After reading an article entitled 'Cigarette Smoking and Your Health' I lit a cigarette to calm my nerves.
an article entitled 题名为……的文章
在英语中,文章名与书名中的每个单词的第一个字母均大写,不在开头位置的连词、冠词、小品词除外。
lit (light,light) v. 点燃
I lit a cigarette.
lighted adj. 被点燃的
This is a lighted cigarette.
2、My friends kept on offering cigarettes and cigars.
keep on doing sth. = continue doing sth. 持续不断的做
The child was crying loudly, but he kept on watching TV.
cigar n. 雪茄
offer sb. sth. 给某人某物
3、They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket.
make every effort 尽全力,尽一切努力
He made every effort to get/at getting the job.
make no effort 根本不作努力,毫不费力
make no effort to persuade him
She wrote the letter with/without effort. 她费力/毫不费力地写了那封信。
make effort + to do sth. 努力做……
no matter when = whenever 无论何时
no matter who = whoever 无论是谁
no matter where = wherever 无论在哪里
no matter how 无论怎样
4、When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette, it was more than I could bear.
was more than I could bear = I couldn't bear
more than后面跟一个从句或一个形容词时可以表示“超出”(多用于口语):
He was more than pleased with his new room.
This was more than I had expectd.
5、Anyway, as Brian pointed out, it is the easiest thing in the world to give up smoking.
anyway 不管如何
Anyway I love him.
Thank you anyway.
point out = explain 指出,指明
Why didn’t you point out his mistake to him at that time
He pointed out that we still had to get a few other things.