1.Come round/around( to something)---means to change your opinion of something, often influenced by another person’s opinion.想通了。例:
After our persuasion, she finally came around. 经过我们的劝说,她终于想通了。
He’ll come around to my point of view, given a bit of time.只要再给一点时间,他会同意我的观点的。
2.Join the club----said in answer to something that someone has said, meaning that you are in the same bad situation as they are.彼此彼此、一样倒霉。例:
So you didn’t a get a job either. ----Join the club.你也没找到工作?彼此彼此!
Sometimes it’s hard to control my bad tamper.-----Join the club.有时我很给控制我的坏脾气。-----彼此彼此!
3.Do somebody an/the honor (of doing something)-----to do something to make somebody feel very proud and pleased.赏个脸吧。例:Please do me an honor of giving me a chance to try it.赏个脸让我试一下吧。
You’ve done me an honor by choosing me as your best man. It means a lot to me.你选我作你的伴郎是我的荣幸(赏了我脸)。这对我而言意义非凡。
4.For what it’s worth----used to emphasize that what you are saying is only your own opinion or suggestion and may not be very helpful.不管怎么说、不过——谦虚地表达自己的观点。例:
For what it’s worth, you’re my queen. I choose you.不管怎么说,你是我的“皇后”。我选择你。
For what it’s worth, he still love you.不过(在我看来),他还是爱你的。
5.It is what it is------used to say that a situation cannot be changed and must be accepted.事已至此,只能接受——无奈。例
It is what it is. Try to be a common person。既然如此,尝试着去做一个平凡人吧。
We’re all imperfect human beings in an imperfect world. It is what it is.在这个并不完美的世界里,你我比非完人,事实就是如此。
6.Don’t hold your breath----used to tell someone not to expect something to happen for a very long time.不要报太大的希望。例:
7.My son deed took part in the postgraduate entrance examination this year, but don’t hold you breath, for he is not a good learner.我儿子确实参加了今后的研究生考试,但不要报太大的希望,因为他不是一个善于学习的人。
The boss has proclaimed that he would give us all a nice increase in our pay this summer, but don’t hold your breath,because he seldom make good on his promises. .老板宣布了今年夏天给我们都涨薪,但不要期望太高。他很少兑现的承诺的。
8.not be born yesterday-----to not be stupid or easy to deceive.不傻,不是一个三岁孩子。例
I suggest you not to tell her lies. She wasn’t born yesterday.建议你不要骗她——她可不是三岁小孩。
You may think mom is clueless about what you’ve done, but she wasn’t born yesterday.
9.Be going places-----to be getting more and more successful in your life or career.顺风顺水。例
Jobs and his partner started Apple in his parents garage, and it seemed that the were going to places in the first years.乔布斯与他合伙人在父母的车库里开创了“苹果”公司,在开始的十年里似乎一切顺利。
She’s a talented young actress who’s definitely going places in Hollywood.她是一位有才华的年轻女演员,在好莱坞肯定会有所作为。
10.Take five----used to tell someone to stop working and relax for a short period of time.表示“稍事休息、放松一下”例:
I’ve been doing homework all morning. Can I take five 我做了一上午作业了,能稍微歇会?
We’ve been at it long enough. Let’s take five.我们干了好久了,歇会吧。
11.a breath of fresh air----someone or something that is new and different and makes everything seem more exciting. 一股清流(指令人耳目一新的人或物)。例:
Her encouragement of facing such a tough problem was a breath of air.她面对这样一个困难问题时的勇气令人耳目一新。
The beautiful new curtain is a breath of fresh air for the house.新买的漂亮窗帘给房子注入了新鲜的活力。
12.a third wheel (a fifth wheel)----someone or something is in a situation where they are not needed or are ignored by most people. 多余的人(物)。例:
He was the only one without a date, so he felt like a fifth wheel.他是唯一没被邀请的人,所以他感觉自己是一个多余的人。
When Lily invited me to go to the movies, I didn’t know that her boyfriend would be joining us. I felt like a third wheel the entire night.当莉莉邀请我去看电影,我不知道她男朋友也和我们一起,我一整晚上都感觉自己像个电灯泡。
13.take somebody’s breath away-----to be extremely beautiful or surprising 美得令人窒息。例:
The sight of such a beautiful girl took his breath away.如此美貌的女孩简直令她窒息。
The scenery of the Rocky Mountains took my breath away.落基山的景色令人叹为观止。
14.take a shine to somebody----to like someone immediately. 立即喜欢上了某人。例:
The students took a shine to the beautiful new teacher the first day.学生们自第一天就喜欢上了这个漂亮的新老师。
I met a girl today. I take a shine to her right away.我今天遇见了一个女孩,对她一见倾心。
15.life is a bitch----said when you find a situation difficult or have had a bad experience 人生真受罪/这人生的道场。例:
“I have to do so much housework everyday,” she said, “life is a bitch.”我每天都要做如此多的家务,人生就是受罪,她说。
16.Suck up---a person who tries to get the approval of someone in authority by saying and doing helpful and friendly things that are not sincere. 马屁精/讨好别人。例:
Don’t suck up to me with cakes and sweet talk---just tell me what you want!别拿蛋糕和甜言蜜语讨好我,就说你想要什么吧。
Hi Ms Green, I would love to shine your shoes or do a favor for you. But, I need to get my grade up in your class.
---Stop being a suck-up.格林老师,我愿意给你擦鞋或帮你做其他事情,但我希望您这门课得高分。-----省省你的马屁吧。
17.Nice try----used for saying that someone has not been successful in doing something, especially in persuading you or in tricking you.想得倒美。例:
Nice try, but you’re not going to trick me this time.想的倒不错。但这次休想骗我了。
---You will double your money in a month if you invest in this scheme.
---Hah! Nice try.要是你投资这个项目,在一个月内你的钱就会翻倍。----想得美。
18.Baby step-----an act that makes a very small amount of progress towards achieving something不要着急,不要焦虑,慢慢来,一步一步来。例:
---Hey, I heard you’re teaching your granny how to use a smartphone.
---Well, so far she can turn it on and log in Wechat. Baby steps, but we’re making progress.是的,目前只会开机和登录微信,只是一小步,但我们在进步。
When you sit back down, break your task into baby steps. Step by step it’s easier.当你重新开始学习的时候,把任务分解到许多小步。一步一步来就容易了。
19.Not the end of the world----if something is not the end of the world, it will no cause very serious problems.没什么大不了的。例:
“Failing an exam is not the end of the world.” the teacher comforted us.老师宽慰我们说一次考试失败那没有什么。
A cloudy wedding day is not the end of the world. People will have fun no matter what the weather does. 婚礼时阴天也没有什么,不管什么天气大家都会尽兴的。
20.Over my dead body-----used to show you are strongly opposed to something除非我死了/休想。例:
I’d marry that guy over my dead body.我死也不会嫁给那个家伙。
Over my dead body will you drive home after you’ve been drinking!我喝这么多酒